Monopoly is a painfully boring game. However, I’ve invented a way to
make it fun. I call it Monopoly – Shadow Banking System Edition(tm)
Here’s how it works. It’s the same as regular monopoly except you can
make any kind of deal and write any contract you want, including but
not limited to:
1) Equity financings. E.g. Player A gives B $1000, and in return A
gets 5% of future cash flows from so and so of B’s properties.
2) Derivatives. Players can sell you an option to buy a property, an
option on cash flows or even an option an options. You can write call
options, put options, futures, collars, butterflies – anything you can
3) Securitization. You can securitize whatever you want. Don’t get
your mortgage from the bank – bundle them up and create securities.
Split the interest from the principal and sell them separately.
Whatever. If you can write it in a contract and find a counterparty,
Additional optional rules:
– “Too big to fail” if you have at least 2 monopolies and are going
out of business, roll one die and if you get anything except a 6, the
bank gives you $10,000.
– Trade real money for fake money. Being rich in real life gives you
an unfair advantage – just like real life.